Heartland Bike Share is looking for an Operations Director to join the management team. Heartland Bike Share is a 501c3 non-profit organization that exists for the development, promotion, and operation of bike sharing programs throughout the Heartland region for the benefit of the general public, aimed at promoting health and quality of life as well as mitigating climate change and promoting the use of sustainable forms of transportation. We currently operate Heartland B-cycle in Omaha and have been awarded a contract for an additional system.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Heartland Bike Share Operations Director Job Description:
The Operations Director is responsible for efficient bike sharing operations in all systems under Heartland Bike Share management as it pertains to the actual use of the system, primarily station and bicycle functionality. The buck stops with the Operations Director when it comes to users being able to access and utilize the bike sharing system. Any impediment to that process is a problem for the Operations Director to resolve.
The Operations Director will be responsible for managing operations team members, creating efficient processes and handling the necessary tracking and reporting that accompanies those efforts. They will coordinate work schedules and work flows to ensure that all necessary work is done in a timely fashion. The Operations Director will also be expected to be able to perform all the tasks of Operations Team members as needed.
Reporting and Organization
- Record and track equipment defects
- Keep a daily record of what percentage of bikes and stations are available to users and produce related reports
- Keep and maintain an up to date Operating Procedure Guide and ensure that staff is compliant
- Maintain Safety Policies and Procedures Guide
- Determine bikes that need to be repaired
- Schedule regular maintenance
- Ensure bikes from the field that need maintenance are retrieved, repaired and returned to service in a timely fashion
- Perform bike repairs and maintenance as needed
- Ensure stations are up and running consistently
- Schedule battery swaps as needed at solar stations
- Diagnose and resolve problems with station functionality
- Perform repairs to station infrastructure
- Ensure condition of stations is at acceptable levels including:
- Solar Panel cleanliness
- Screen visibility
- Rust abatement
- Trash, debris, snow and graffiti removal
- Sponsorship recognition
- Lead innovations to make bikes better suited to their environment (ie: gearing, grips, bells etc.)
- Maintain, clean regularly, and repair any acquired equipment (ie: Truck, trailer, workshop, etc)
- Determine optimal balancing levels
- Schedule balancing efforts as needed
- Innovate other ways to balance the system
- Repair problems identified by customers
- Create new processes to streamline customer service experience
- Proactively inform customers of potential issues they may face
Purchasing and Inventory
- Build and maintain relationships with suppliers
- Maintain record of receipts and expenditures for all purchases
- Keep inventory of all relevant items and maintain appropriate stock levels
Other duties as assigned
- Truck: Keep work vehicle clean and in good working order
- Trailer: Repair trailer as needed
- Workshop space: Clean and organize workshop areas
- Storage: Assist with maintenance and improvement of storage space as needed
- Adapt and adjust schedule to fit needs of the system
Required Skills and Experience
- Valid Driver’s License and acceptable Motor Vehicle Record
- Demonstrable mechanical background and aptitude
- 3 – 5 years of experience working as a manager
- Basic computer skills
- Adaptability – enthusiastically adapt to changes in the work environment
- Dependability – Follow instructions; respond to management direction; communicate frequently; solicit feedback to improve performance
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Passion for bikes, efficiency and sustainability
- This position requires bending, stooping, lifting up to 50 pounds
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Previous professional experience with either bicycle repair, electronics repair, automotive repair, or handy work
- Experience driving trailers in an urban environment
- Knowledge of geography/street layout of at least one local metro area
- College Degree
- Previous Bike Share Experience
- The job is Monday through Friday based out of our North Downtown Omaha office.
- Up to 50% of time could be spent in other markets within 3 years based on our growth and expansion.
- Pay: up to $40,000 per year based on experience and qualifications.
- Benefits: Cost share health benefits, generous vacation time, great prices on bicycles and bike related items.
Please send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com by August 13th.